Even Before the COVID-19 Pandemic Struck, Remote Work Was on the Rise… It’s Time to Make the Transition, But Don’t Forget to Take These Recommendations Into Consideration.
The World Health Organization (WHO) labeled coronavirus as a pandemic on March 11, 2020. This happened only three short months after the virus, then unknown, was discovered in Wuhan. As businesses, schools, and daycares are forced to close to minimize the spread, it’s time to make the transition to remote work. Fortunately, remote work was on the rise even before the pandemic struck – and for good reason.
Before we get into the benefits of working from home and how to enable a remote workforce, we want to remind you of the WHO’s recommendations for staying safe during this difficult time:
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water
- Maintain social distancing with a minimum of at least 3-feet between people
- Avoid touching your face, mouth, and nose as much as possible
- Stay home unless absolutely necessary
The Benefits of Remote Work Aside from Social Distancing…
Now, let’s take a look at the benefits of remote work, aside from keeping your employees and their loved ones safe and healthy:
- Less time spent commuting to and from work
- Lower stress levels in regards to hazards
- Greater productivity due to less office distractions
- Improved employee retention
- Lower overhead and operating costs
- Greater ability to adjust to unforeseen circumstances
The Considerations All Businesses Must Keep in Mind…
Many businesses have started to embrace the idea of remote working during this difficult time, and for most of us, it’s unknown whether we’ll be working from home for weeks or months. If you haven’t embraced remote work yet, here’s our considerations to keep in mind:
- Will employees use their own devices or will the company issue devices to be used?
- Do employees have adequate internet connectivity to keep up with workloads?
- Will employees have access to cloud-based collaboration tools to stay connected?
- What employees can handle responsibilities home and what employees can’t?
- How will cybersecurity be handled when employees are working from home?
- What are your expectations in terms of check-ins, hours, and other factors?
How to Get Started with Remote Work…
Before you get started with remote work, it’s important to ensure all of your employees are prepared. This means you must:
- Take inventory of their technology resources at home including desktops, laptops, smart phones, and internet connections.
- Make upgrades as needed to ensure they have up-to-date devices that are secure, as well as strong enough internet connections to handle remote work.
- Invest in VPNs for each employee to give them a secure, encrypted connection to the network.
- Decide on collaboration tools such as Microsoft Office 365 for anytime, anywhere access to emails, contacts, files, and calendars.
- Switch over to VoIP that gives your employees the ability to make and receive calls via their work line over the internet.
- Discuss expectations ahead of time in terms of hours worked, check-in times expected, and protocols for keeping sensitive information safe.
- Offer opportunities for socialization such as eating lunch over a video call with the entire team.
How Can Infiniwiz Help Businesses Embrace Remote Work?
Infiniwiz would like to contribute to the fight against coronavirus and help those who need to work remotely. We are offering to donate our time and tools to local businesses in need of assistance:
- A virtual conference room with a phone number for employees to dial into.
- A fax-to-email service with a randomly assigned phone number.
- A messaging application for team members to communicate remotely.
Naturally, our resources are limited so we’re offering this free of charge on a first come, first serve basis while supplies last. We do, however, always have our usual services available to help you:
- Transition to a remote workforce complete with VoIP business phones, collaboration software, and other technologies to keep employees safe and productive.
- Remote support for those who are working from home but need a hand to troubleshoot an issue, address a concern, or anything technology-related.
Get in Touch with Infiniwiz to Get Started with Remote Work. Call (847) 350-7652 Now.